Monday, June 30, 2008

May wonders never cease

It all started a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday morning. We were having the usual conversation about what we were going to do which usually goes along the lines of... T-"What do you want to do today?" B- " I don't know what do you want to do?" T- "Well we should do something to get the kids out of the house." B- "Ok, what should we do?" T- " I don't know...... Anyway, you get the idea. So, the conversation started as usual and as usual I was expecting the same reply when out of nowhere I got this instead. B- "I want to go to Ikea." T- "Really, why, what do you want to get?" B- "I want to get that dresser for my side of the bed." T- "Ok, when do you want to go?" B- "Now" T- " Ok but we should probably feed the kids, and then it will be nap time, so maybe we should go after that." B-"Ok" So, that is what we did. Right now you're probably thinking that getting him to go to Ikea was the miracle. No, it's coming, wait for it. So, Ikea has cast some kind unexplainable evil spell on our kids. Every time we go (twice now, but we see the pattern emerging) they have turned into the whinniest toads ever and are prone to frequent fits. It's terrible. We've decided we just can't take them there anymore. That's not the point of this story though, the point is that we bought the dresser and we got two platform beds, one for each kid. So, typically the story would end with us taking the boxes home where they would sit for a minimum of 8 weeks before they would be assembled and put to use. Here is where the miracle occurred. On the very next day, which as it would happen was Father's Day no less, Brian put the dresser together! Now here's where it gets really good. He didn't just put the dresser together, he moved all the stuff on his side of the bed, vacuumed, went through his belongings, throwing some stuff out, organized and put his stuff in the dresser. Amazing I know!!! To truly appreciate how amazing this is you need a little background. Brian's side of the bed has been cluttered since we decided that this particular bedroom would be ours(at least two years ago). Cluttered in this instance would mean multiple piles of things, mostly magazines, books, and electronic gear. Added to that , LBR could probably count higher than the number of times Brian has vacuumed in the 6 1/2 years we've lived in this house. Now please don't miss understand me, I am not knocking Brian in any way, these are merely facts. Brian does other things around the house which I would list, but then we would really be getting off track. The last thing you must factor into this miracle is that Brian is a magazine junkie. Until this miracle occurred I thought it was physically, emotionally, and otherwise impossible for Brian to throw any magazine out. He just doesn't do it. He feels he will need them at some future date and to throw them out would mean never being able to access that information ever again. At one time the magazines in our house would have filled a standard sized coat closet. Anyway, as part of his thorough cleaning, he actually took some magazines out to the recycle bin. I was shocked! Having done this one might think that Brian had met any and all requirements for the honey do list for at least the rest of the year. I do concur, he definitely had earned some time off from any requests on my part. So, you will understand my amazement when this weekend he hung a picture on the wall! A picture on the wall, how is that amazing you might ask, well let me explain. First, let me restate that we have lived in this house for 6 1/2 years. So, for years I have been asking for Brian to hang some pictures. For years he has told me he couldn't, or he just didn't. Whatever the varying reasons it never happened. Some might wonder why I didn't just take matters into my own hands, I can only say in my defence that Brian had me convinced that because we have plaster walls that we needed some sort of special thing that we could never find otherwise the pictures would not stay up. So, a couple of months ago Brian went on a business trip to Nashville. While there he stumbled upon Hatch Show Prints. They do all the printing for The Grand Ole Opry on old school printing machines. Anyway he bought a couple of really cool prints. The one he got for me was of an airstream trailer. So, cool! The following link is just like mine except the background is red. http://store.countrymusichalloffame.com/site/files/cm/products/airstreamblkblu_large.jpg Anyway, he got it framed and for a couple of weeks it's been sitting in our room. So, he told me the other day that he planned to hang it this weekend. Needless to say, I was not holding my breath. Well, low and behold he did. I now have a picture hanging in my dining room!!! In the past two weeks he has also put together both kids' beds and started clearing out the "office". Who is this impostor posing as my husband? Maybe I don't want to know. One thing I am sure of , he is welcome to stay!

3 comments:

Titus Family Literary Group said...

WHAT THE DEVIL?!!

Danica said...

Tiana, this has happened in my house to LOL...as far as my clutter bug (Mark) getting rid of some of his treasures (junk LOL) mostly electronic things. Mostly because little Patty has become mobile.
All I can say is enjoy it while it lasts :) and yes there is some kind of magic spell cast on kids who go into Ikea LOL....Otherwise perfect kids turn into whinny babies LOL.......

Unknown said...

Let me just state that Dear Brian takes after his dear ol' dad. I trip over the mounds of old mags Ron keeps. It must be a family feeling--this surge to clean and throw away. Ron said, "we're moving this year!" and he started throwing stuff out. CLEANED THE ENTIRE CARPORT. Now...IF only I could follow this shining example.
But savor your happy day... Brian did some household tasks! This proves that life is full of delightful surprises. ENJOY 'em!